Sunday, November 8, 2009
Just 15 seconds
'Honk!' I am sitting at Hodges Boulevard and trying to make a right hand turn onto Atlantic Boulevard, cross three lanes of traffic and then merge into a left turn lane. All this within 100 yards. 'Beep!' "I can't move," I yell at the car behind me. Or should I say I am choosing not to proceed into the unknown because this large Cadillac SUV is blocking my vision of the on coming traffic. They have pulled out too far in their lane and that is all I can see to my left. Today is beautifully rainy which, too often, can lead to slippery roads (and, may I add, I have two children in the back). So, instead of trusting the source of the honk that the lanes are all clear, I wait. 1, 2, 3, I have decided to count the seconds 'til I get that blessed green arrow pointing to the right. 15 seconds. I know that the source of that honk is not happy about the wait. I know this because in other occasions I have been the honker. No matter how light you push on the horn, it is still intrusive. 15 seconds is all it takes to get upset, frazzled, and mad. Why?
~Maybe it goes deeper...It may come down to our free will
They, also, have the power to keep me there. I'm trapped in this small
~Maybe they have an emergency and 15 seconds is all it takes for the life and death situation to be resolved. (This is my most popular reasoning for
~Maybe it goes deeper...It may come down to our free will
I am taught that I have a free will, I am a free citizen, I can be all I can
They, also, have the power to keep me there. I'm trapped in this small
So, I write to the person honking behind me: I'm truly sorry. I am
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment